Bediuzzaman Points to the Importance of Intellectual Struggle Against Darwinism and Materialism
The great Islamic scholar Bediuzzaman, who devoted his entire life to an intellectual struggle against disbelief, explained in his works that disbelief was sustained by Darwinism and materialism. He, therefore, said that an intellectual struggle against such ideologies would play a vital role.
Bediuzzaman explains the impact of materialism on unbelievers trying to ambush him and his friends:
"And thirdly: To corrupt them with the enticing vices and stupefying, pleasurable poisons of materialist philosophy and civilization; and destroy their solidarity; and disparage their leaders with treacherous lies; and discredit their ways with some of the principles of science and philosophy…" (Bediuzzaman, The Treatise of Light Collection, The Rays, Thirteenth Ray)
As very wisely put by Bediuzzaman, the unbelievers sought to cheat believers with temporary and tempting worldly pleasures to nullify the intellectual works of Bediuzzaman, and with the encouragement from materialistic culture, tried to impair the unity and solidarity of the believers and slandered Bediuzzaman repeatedly. However they invariably failed.
Bediüzzaman says that Darwinism and materialism will get stronger especially in the End Times and that disbelief will be more widespread propelled by these two ideologies; however the Prophet Jesus (pbuh) and Hazrat Mahdi (pbuh) will put an end to this trouble through an effective intellectual struggle. As Bediüzzaman explained, Hazrat Mahdi (pbuh) will carry out this duty perfectly, and will intellectually end Darwinism and materialism and help save people's faith.
"The first: Under the influence of science and philosophy, and the spread of the materialist and naturalist epidemic into humanity, the first duty [of Hazrat Mahdi] is first of all to save faith as to entirely silence philosophy and materialistic thinking." (Bediuzzaman, The Treatise of Light Collection, Emirdag Addendum, p. 259)
Bediuzzaman says that Darwinism and materialism are the mainstays of the antichrist, and that the Prophet Jesus (pbuh) will carry out a great intellectual struggle against that mischief, effectively ending it:
"… at the end of time the religion of Christianity will be purified and divest itself of superstition in the face of the current of unbelief and atheism born of naturalist philosophy, and will be transformed into Islam. At this point, the collective personality of Christianity will kill the fearsome collective personality of irreligion with the sword of heavenly revelation; so too, representing the collective personality of Christianity, Jesus (pbuh) will [spiritually] kill the antichrist, who represents the collective personality of irreligion, that is, he will kill atheistic thought [he will intellectually eliminate it]." (Bediuzzaman, The Treatise of Light Collection, The Letters, First Letter, p. 22)
"... will [intellectually] kill the gigantic collective personality of materialism and irreligion which the antichrist will form – for the antichrist will be killed by Jesus' (pbuh) sword [of knowledge] – and destroy his ideas and disbelief, which are atheistic."(Bediuzzaman, The Treatise of Light Collection, Flashes, 5th Flash, p. 589)
Bediuzzaman Said Nursi makes it very clear that it is Darwinism and materialism that push people away from the moral values of religion and lead them to disbelief. He explains that Muslims will carry out a great intellectual struggle against these two twisted ideas under the leadership of the Prophet Jesus (pbuh) and Hazrat Mahdi (pbuh). By the grace of God, these ideologies will be ended by these two blessed personages and the moral values of Islam will come to reign throughout the world.
24. Francis E. Peters, Jerusalem: Holy City in the Eyes of Chroniclers, Visitors, Pilgrims, and Prophets from the Days of Abraham to the Beginnings of Modern Times, Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1985, p. 363
25. Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man, 2nd edition, New York, A L. Burt Co., 1874, p. 178
26. Lalita Prasad Vidyarthi, Racism, Science and Pseudo-Science, Unesco, France, Vendôme, 1983. p. 54
27. Theodore D. Hall, “The Scientific Background of the Nazi "Race Purification” Program”, http://www.trufax.org/avoid/nazi.html
28. James Joll, Europe Since 1870: An International History, Penguin Books, Middlesex, 1990, p. 164
29. M.F. Ashley-Montagu, Man in Process, New York: World. Pub. Co. 1961, pp. 76, 77 cited in Bolton Davidheiser, W E Lammers (ed) Scientific Studies in Special Creationism, 1971, pp. 338-339
30. L.H. Gann, "Adolf Hitler, The Complete Totalitarian”, The Intercollegiate Review, Fall 1985, p. 24; cited in Henry M. Morris, The Long war Against God, Baker Book House, 1989, p. 78
31. J. Tenenbaum, Race and Reich, Twayne Pub., New York, p. 211, 1956; cited by Jerry Bergman, “Darwinism and the Nazi Race Holocaust”, http://www.trueorigin. org/ holocaust.htm
32. Peter Chrisp, The Rise of Fascism, Witness History Series, p. 6
33. Hickman, R., Biocreation, Science Press, Worthington, OH, pp. 51–52, 1983; Jerry Bergman, “Darwinism and the Nazi Race Holocaust”, Creation Ex Nihilo Technical Journal 13 (2): 101–111, 1999
34. Robert M. Young, Darwinian Evolution and Human History, Historical Studies on Science and Belief, 1980
35. Alan Woods and Ted Grant, Reason in Revolt: Marxism and Modern Science, London: 1993
36. K. Mehnert, Kampf um Mao's Erbe, Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, 1977
37. Karl Marx, Das Capital, Vol. I, 1955, p. 603
38. Vladimir Ilich Lenin, Collected Works, 4th English Edition, Progress Publishers, Moscow, 1965, Volume 11, p. 216
39. L. Poliakov, Le Mythe Aryen, Editions Complexe, Calmann-Lévy, Bruxelles, 1987, p. 343
40. Robert Clark, Darwin: Before and After, Grand Rapids International Press, Grand Rapids, MI, 1958, pp. 115-116; cited by Jerry Bergman, “Darwinism and the Nazi Race Holocaust”, http://www.trueorigin.org/ holocaust.htm